Notifications
Clear all

Limitations on ADS Notifications

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@ultegra12vdi2)

Hello, I am new to the Twincat world and also to PLC programming. I am developing a C++ application that, among other tasks, needs to communicate with PLCs. I have some questions about the ADS technology, specifically regarding the limitations of ADS notifications.

I have read in Beckhoff's documentation that it is not recommended to have more than 550 notifications per device.

I'm trying to understand what is meant by a "device" in Twincat. In my case, I will be working with 13-15 PLCs within the same network. Each PLC will only be responsible for managing IO modules (not related to HMI, camshaft controllers, oscilloscopes, PID controllers, etc.).

At this point, two questions arise for me:

1. For this scenario, I understand that a device will be each TwinCAT PLC. Is this correct? So, I assume that each TwinCAT PLC should not exceed more than 550 notifications.

2. Based on your experience and from a performance perspective, what would be more suitable for the application I am developing: having only one ADS client that communicates with all the TwinCAT PLCs for receiving notifications and writing to some variables, or having a separate client for each TwinCAT PLC?

Thank you for your assistance. Greetings!

Share: