Clear all

Setting TcProjectCompare as your Diff/Merge tool for a TwinCAT project Git repo

4 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
Topic starter
(@chrisk)

Might be useful for folk using Git.

The first step is to find the tool, it can be accessed via the service tray interface on any TwinCAT system.

To set the tool as your diff/merge tool you simply need to open the tool and go to the configure user tools option.

Once done this will open a tool window to allow you to set TcProjectCompare as your diff tool:

Select the Export Configuration button and select Git in the dropdown menu.

Click OK to apply to the tool to Git, this will open up the following window:

Now here you have a choice, if you apply the settings globally, TcProjectCompare will be set as your global diff/merge tool, as such it will be used for your C#, C++, Python etc project. This option is only suitable if you plan to only use the computer for TwinCAT projects. If this is the case then you can simply click OK and the job is done.

However more likely you work in different langauges and want to use more suitable tools for .NET developement for example. In this case you can select and apply the TcProjectCompare tool to a specific project.

Click the Global dropdown and select Specific project, it will open a Windows browser, you can then navigate to the project folder and select the git config file:

This will then load the config file to apply the changes:

all you need to do is click OK and you are done, if the settings are deployed you will see the following message:

A simple check with GitBash or similar should show the settings have been adopted, you can see its set as my local tool, but not globally, allowing me to use other tools for other programming languages.

You can then use TcProjectCompare in your project as well as Git operations.

3 Replies
rruiter
(@rruiter)
Estimable Member

I stopped using the TcCompare tool a long time ago. It broke so often that I just gave up. What is your experience?

2 Replies
(@chrisk)

@rruiter hey, what broke? To set context I've only been using it in anger for 1.5years maybe, maximum. In that time it's been fine for me, I use it as per the last image to track changes I'm making live, I use it in the Changes part of TeamServer pluggin source control, it pops up quite happily. The issues I have are when you move away from plc and try track changes in tccoms for simulink stuff. Also I haven't really pushed the merge side.

What do you use? 

rruiter
(@rruiter)

Estimable Member

@chrisk I don’t know what broke, but when I selected compare I sometimes got a error. After a few futile attempts to fix it, I just switched to text based comparisons. Now I’m mostly using SourceTree.

Share: